The Feature Pack 1 for SharePoint Server 2016 has been announced during Microsoft Ignite and will be available in November 2016. Feature Packs have been introduced with SharePoint Server 2016 to accelerate the delivery of cloud-first features to Software Assurance customers outside the traditional major release cadence. The first Feature Pack brings several enhancements from Office 365 to your on-premises platform:
- Logging of administrative actions performed in Central Administration and with Windows PowerShell.
- MinRole comes with two new shared roles for small environments: “Front-end with Distributed Cache” and “Application with Search”. These allow you to set up a multi-server MinRole farm with two servers.
- Office 365 like modern experience for OneDrive for Business.
- Custom tiles in the SharePoint app launcher to add your own tiles that point to other SharePoint sites, external sites, legacy apps and more.
- Unified auditing across site collections on-premises and in Office 365.
- Unified taxonomy replicates your taxonomy across SharePoint on-premises and Office 365.
- The OneDrive API 2.0 enables developers to build solutions that target user data stored in OneDrive for Business and SharePoint document libraries.
More information about the SharePoint Feature Pack will be provided during the BRK2047 Explore Microsoft SharePoint Server 2016 and Beyond session at Microsoft Ignite.